Friday, February 27, 2009

If its not broke, break it and fix it!

I have pet peeves just like anyone else. One of the ones I hear a lot is this statement,
"IF it is not broke, don't fix it."

I realize that most people who make this statement mean it in the most innocent way possible. However, this statement is also the reason why most people never become great at whatever it is they are called to do.

If we had lived by this statement we would still have prop planes instead of jets. Today we would be talking on 5 lbs. cell phones instead of the one that is in my shirt pocket. The model T that Ford first manufactured would have been what I went to work today in, instead of my air conditioned, stereo, cruise controlled, F-150 4x4. Notice that all of these things transformed the way the world did things, but there is always ways of doing them better.

Evolution is a word that has not been welcome in churches. Evolution is what every church, ministry and mission needs to embrace. It is simply finding a better way of doing something. The Church needs to reevaluate, tweak and refocus on a continuous basis.

Here are some thoughts that should be asked about "Church".
  • Are we reaching people?
  • Do we know who we are reaching?
  • After we reach someone, what do we do with them?
  • How could we do this more efficient?
  • How could we do this better?
  • Is our vision Crystal clear?
  • Has our vision changed?
  • Are we doing it the same way as five years ago? Why?
  • What are the pink elephants in the room? (Things everyone is thinking, but everyone is ignoring)
  • Can technology improve the way we do it?
  • Can Volunteers have more of a responsibility, so leaders can free up and dream more?
  • Can paid staff improve how we are doing things?
  • Can we merge these ministries, thus doubling staff, resources and volunteers?
  • Should this be taken out of its misery?
  • Lets ask the right people the right questions and get the right answers.
  • Is the wrong person in charge.

I am a fan of evolution in the church. I have been blessed with a first hand experience of the post modern evolution in the 21st century church. My life has been blessed because of the pastors who choose to be cutting edge in the world we live in. I am a product of church evolution. My spiritual growth is due to the passion of my spiritual leaders who choose to make the church a fascinating, technological, revolution where I have experienced revelation, anointing and fascination from the Call of God in my life. I choose to be a leader the way I was led, by asking one simple question, "How can I do this better?"

1 comment:

  1. Great article Ty! You are so good.! Glad you are my pastor.

    ReplyDelete