Tuesday, August 21, 2012

2012 hunting season has begun! This of course is one of my loves. He scored 79 inches. It takes 67 inches to make the Poope & Young record books. Everyone needs hobbies. Here are a few of my reasons why.

1. Its "Cross Training" for the brain.
When I hunt I have to be a problem solver, creative and do my homework to be successful. These same qualities are a must for my calling too. Some might think its a stretch or excuse to link the two, but I don't. During a hunt I have time to think. After a successful hunt I come back energized.

2. Goals are Contagious.
When I sit down and write out my goals for every year some goals are more exciting than others. When I start checking off the goal list, because of completion. It sparks enthusiasm to accomplish more. One accomplished goal fuels confidence to accomplish another unachieved goal.

3. Fun is Fuel.
If I love it I will do it.

4. I'm good at it.
That helps a lot also. I want to be clear on what I am good at. Killing an animal? No. I am good at.... Preparing with good equipment, gear and my physical condition. I am good at doing my homework for a hunt. I put out trail cameras and get information to make a good decision on the animal I should harvest. I practice... a lot. I make an absolute best effort to take a good shot. I don't shoot young animals. I know how old the animal is, if he is a candidate for harvest and if he is a trophy or not. I practice self discipline. I have passed on more animals than I have harvested. Then I take the shot. I am honest. I have been in many sticky situations and have done the right thing. These are a few of the reasons I think I am a good hunter. I love being this type of person in other areas also.

5. Friends & Family
I want these two things in every area of my life. It makes the moments last longer. It causes the experiences to be sweeter. I doubt I would do a lot that I do if these two ingredients were not there.


No comments:

Post a Comment